So just in case you weren’t on the planet this past month, Apple launched their latest smartphones – the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus. And as usual it was amidst much ado and fanfare! And because we are so benevolent, we would like to share the joy with you. Here’s a list of 5 coolest things only the latest iPhones can do.
First and foremost, the 3D touch:
3D Touch, as the name suggests, is a touch technology that can perceive depth. Meaning that it can actually know how hard you are pushing on the screen.
And while it seems like an innocuous piece of technology, its applications are practically limitless. For example:
- Peek-and-Pop: While inside the email app, press lightly on a message to peek at its content. Press harder and the message will Pop out to full screen.
- Glance: While in iMessages, if someone sends you a link, just press lightly on the link and it will show you a preview of the link, without opening the browser. Press harder and you will then be moved to Safari/Chrome with the full version of the link. Also applies to Adress links opening with Maps.
- Quick Actions: This is basically is ‘right click’ function to your iOS. Press and hold down on various Apps (right from the home screen) and it will pop a list of options to choose from. It therefore eliminates the need to actually open the app and navigate to the option.
- Quick Call Contacts: Just press slightly and hold on a contact from anywhere in the phone and it will give you a menu to call/text/email that person instantly.
- The new 12 MP camera:Apple stuck with an 8 megapixel camera for as long as they could. They insisted that the camera will be upgraded only when adding more megapixel wasn’t just a gimmick; rather if it actually enhanced quality. And they have kept their promise. The new camera is definitely the best camera on any smartphone out there.
- Live Photos: In the new iPhones, when you click a picture it captures a second before and a second after it. It’s still a pic, but when you press and hold on it in your photo library, you see the small 2 sec interactions. It’s like a GIF that can take you back in time, to the moment that you thought you’d lost. Science fiction, anyone?
- 4K videos: The iPhone had always been a great point and shoot camera. For years it has mesmerised the users with it’s industry leader level of professional photography. Well, iPhone 6S and 6S Plus take that experience even further with the ability to shoot videos in Ultra HD 4K !!
- Retina Flash: Speaking of cameras, the new iPhones also get an upgraded front facing camera. The new 5 MP FaceTime HD camera is now ably supported by a Retina Screen Flash for taking clear selfies even in the dim light situations. Sometimes it pays to be a narcissist, no?
Blazing Fast Speeds:
Just like with the camera, the new iPhones also finally get an upgrade on RAM. The 6S and 6S Plus are the first iPhones to be shipped with 2GB of RAM. Coupled with the all new A9 Processor, it makes the new iPhones super fast. Multi tasking and heavy gaming have never been easier!
For those who don’t know, there is another way of activating Siri (besides long pressing the home button), which is saying Hey Siri. Till now this feature was limited as it could only be used when your iPhone was plugged into a power source. But in 6S and 6S Plus Siri is always listening. In other words, whenever you want, with or without phone plugged in, you can say Hey Siri to bring it up. Pretty Cool!
Yes, yes, we know. Moving wallpapers have been in Android phones for years. Honestly, they were more of a hassle than a feature. But like with anything Apple, even this feature, once it gets the Apple treatment, blows our minds away. More significantly, you can create your own live wallpapers. Go on then, show off that 4K camera of yours!!
Each year, just like the rest of the tech industry, the iPhones get stronger, faster, better! Many of the new features are usually an improvement over the past ones (like the 12 MP Camera and the 2GB RAM). Some are mostly gimmicks with little functionality (like Dynamic Wallpapers and Live Photos).
But some are real game changers. This time it’s the 3D touch. These are the features that give us glimpse of what the future looks like. And I think it is in the hope to connect with that future, that we empty our bank accounts on these shiny pieces of Apple Tech.