Earlier last week, a video of an exploding iPhone 7 went viral on Twitter. And after much public backlash, Apple has decided to “look into the matter.”
The video was posted by an 18 year old girl named Brianna “Bree” Olivas on her twitter handle. The post quickly went viral on social media, and was eventually picked up by Mashable. As of posting this article, the tweet had nearly 35,000 retweets.
So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning ? was not even using it, literally no explanation for this pic.twitter.com/sQ8CJt4Y69
— Bree✨ (@briannaolivas_) February 23, 2017
A representative from Apple said –We are in touch with the customer and looking into it.
Bree’s iPhone 7 had stopped working a couple of days earlier and she had taken it to her local Apple Store. The people at the store opened the phone and found nothing wrong with it. The phone was reset and returned to Bree, who came back home happy.
The next day, her phone started belching out smoke.
Her boyfriend grabbed the phone and took it to the bathroom, where they filmed the exploding iPhone 7 vanishing behind a thick veil of smoke.
Bree was quoted as saying —
“The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser. He went [to] the […] restroom … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom … as soon as he threw it in the restroom [and it] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.” She said.
This video is as chilling as it gets.
And it’s videos such as these that are proof that even the most careful product development process in the world can sometimes go horribly, horribly wrong.