Out of the loop on last week’s news? No biggie, we’ve got your back! Keep up with everything Apple through our weekly Applesutra wrap-ups, posted every Monday, here to help you catch up to all the latest Apple news and updates.
Without any further ado, here’s everything you need to know about Apple last week.
iOS 15.2.1 Is Out With Bug Fixes
Last week saw the release of the iOS 15.2.1 update, bringing only bug fixes for Messages, CarPlay, and HomeKit. The update fixes bugs where Messages could not load photos sent using iCloud links, and some third-party CarPlay apps that were not responding to input. It also patches a HomeKit vulnerability that could cause a denial of service and lead to repeated iPhone or iPad crashes.
iOS 15. 3 & Other Beta OS Releases
Apple has released both public and developer betas for iOS & iPadOS 15.3, watchOS 8.4, and tvOS 15.3. Unfortunately, Universal Control is still nowhere to be found. The updates only contain minor updates and bug fixes.
No More Individual Security Updates for iOS 14
For a while, Apple allowed users to enjoy security patches and bug fixes without upgrading to iOS 15. However, it looks like Apple’s back to forcing users to upgrade to the latest iOS for security updates and patches. According to 9to5Mac, users on iOS 14.8 can no longer update to iOS 14.8.1 and are only shown the iOS 15.2.1 update.
Microsoft Hires Apple’s Chip Engineer
Microsoft might just be planning on coming up with their own “M” (for Microsoft, geddit?) chips soon! According to a report by Bloomberg, key semiconductor engineer Mike Filippo has joined Microsoft after two years at Apple. Previously, Filippo had worked at Intel and Arm.
PUBG Developer Sues Apple
Recently, PUBG developer Krafton Inc took Garena, a developer of various ‘Free Fire’ games that they allege rip off PUBG elements. The company is also taking Apple and Google to court for not taking down PUBG rip-offs or taking any action against the developer.
Apple’s Week in Rumours
What are we looking at in the future? Here’s some recent leaks and rumours to get you going.
- Apple’s upcoming VR/AR headset might be delayed until 2023 due to numerous hardware and software challenges.
- The iPhone 14 Pro is now rumoured to have a “hole+pill design” rather than a notch.
- Under display Face ID is once again an iPhone 15 Pro rumour, not iPhone 14 Pro.
- Apple Watch Series 8 rumours suggest the watch will get upgraded sleep tracking features.
- This spring, a new iPad Air might launch alongside a new iPhone SE model.
- Apple might be adding the last MacBook Pro with a CD drive to its vintage products list.
Applesutra Last Week
Catch up with what we covered last week on Applesutra.
- Lossless to Lost: Apple Insights Into Limitations of Bluetooth on AirPods
- Faster Than M1 Max? Intel Claims 12th Gen Core i9 Processor Beats Apple’s
- Here’s to More of Apple Watch’s Life-Saving Potential, Says Apple Itself
- No More Counting Screenshots: Here’s How to Take a Scrolling Screenshot on an iPhone
- Let Me In! Intel Hints at iPhone and Apple Watch Integration on Windows
Never miss a story. Subscribe to Applesutra to get all the latest Apple news and updates right into your inbox.
See you next week!